Friday, June 25, 2010

Carnival Dream Cooking Demonstration

The Carnival Dream has a specialty restaurant called The Chef's Art Steakhouse.  It's a high class restaurant and they cook some of the highest quality beef.  I have never dined there because the portions are so big, but I've heard that's in an amazing experience.  

The first sea day on our cruise, they offered a cooking demonstration where you could go and watch the chefs in the Steakhouse cook some of their dishes as well as show you how to plate them.  This demonstration was free of charge, but was only open to a limited number of people, so you had to get there early.  As we walked in, they handed us a recipe book so we could follow along as the chefs were cooking.  After they finished cooking each dish, they brought out samples for us to try.


The first dish they cooked for us was a Mushroom Cappuccino.  I'm not a big mushroom fan, so I automatically thought I was going to hate this dish.  There's no way I could have eaten the soup without the bread, but the mixture of the bread and the soup was extremely well done.  Not a horribly strong mushroom flavor at all.



The next dish we had was a salad of baby spinach, fresh mushrooms, and feta cheese.  I love spinach, so I was really excited about this dish.  I barely ate any of it though, because the feta cheese taste was too strong.  I learned I do not like feta cheese.



The entree they served us was Broiled Supreme of Free Range Chicken served with fried potatoes and macaroni and cheese.  This dish was absolutely amazing.  The chicken was so moist and flavorful.  The potatoes were fried to perfection and the mac n' cheese was to die for.



The dessert was a delicious Tiramisu.  Tiramisu is my husband's favorite dessert ever, so he was giddy to see this on the menu.  It was made with Grand Marnier which gave it a really delicious flavor.  I'm not a big Tiramisu fan, but I definitely licked the bowl clean on this one.


I'm so glad we went to the cooking demonstration.  I was able to try dishes that I never would have picked off a menu on my own and I also got to bring the recipes home to make them myself.  It was definitely an eye opening experience and I highly recommend it to anyone who gets the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment