Friday, March 28, 2014

Disney Dining Reviews

One of the hardest things for me when planning a Disney trip is deciding where we are going to eat.  We don't normally do the dining plan, so I have to compare prices, food choices, and whether we can get a reservation or not.

Here's a quick review of the different restaurant we ate at in each park.  I included a little rating (1 being the worst, 10 being the best).  Some of the things we ate while in Epcot are only for the Food and Garden Festival, but I'm going to include them anyways.  I did make a note so that you would know not to look for them unless you're going during the festival.

Earl of Sandwich - Downtown Disney (Rating: 8 out of 10)


I had heard many great things about this restaurant and it was also inexpensive (less than $7 per sub!), so I knew we had to try it out.  I ordered the Earl's Club without sauce and J ordered the Hawaiian BBQ.  Both subs were delicious and very filling.  The bread had a nice amount of crispy-ness, while also being soft and chewy.  My only complaint about this restaurant was the pick-up area and the seating.  Everyone crowds around the pick-up area waiting for their food, even though they have a buzzer.  Also, there isn't too much seating in the restaurant, so you kind of have to stalk other people and wait for them to leave.


Crystal Palace - Magic Kingdom (Rating: 8 out of 10)


I booked this restaurant for two reasons: the characters and we could get in the park before opening.  I knew the buffet was going to be expensive (we paid a little over $50 with tip for 2 people), but I was really excited to enjoy a character breakfast because I had never done one before.  Our reservation was at 8:15am, so we were in the park a little over an hour before it opened, which was awesome for pictures.  We checked in for our reservation and were called within 10 minutes.  The characters had already started walking around, so we went ahead and got pictures with Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore before we even got food.  Our waiter kept us stocked with drinks and we could make as many trips to the buffet as we wanted.  There was a nice selection of items at the buffet, so there's something for everyone. I highly recommend the Mickey waffles and the breakfast lasagna.  Delicious!  If you eat here, I would recommend going ahead and asking for your check after your waiter gets you your drinks.  That way you don't have to wait for him to come back after you're finished eating and visiting with the characters.


Be Our Guest Lunch - Magic Kingdom (Rating: 6 out of 10)


So when I looked over this menu, I wasn't terribly impressed.  I really wanted to see inside of the castle though, so I had to try it out.  We got a special invitation to get a fast pass for lunch, so I made our reservation for 1:05pm-1:35pm.  They have computer stations with pictures and descriptions so that you can order your food.  After you're finished ordering, you go find a table.  You have 3 different dining rooms to choose from.  We decided to eat in the one with the music box because it was the least crowded.  If you have a magic band, the servers track you down with that.  If not, they give you a magic rose.  The food is delivered straight to your table and all drinks and condiments are self-service.  Both myself and J ordered the croque monsiuer (a ham and cheese sandwich) and a strawberry cupcake.  The sandwich was okay.  The bread good kind of soggy on the bottom.  The fries were horrible.  The cupcake was very tasty though.  I'm not sure if I would eat there again for lunch, but they did a fabulous job with the theme, which was cool to see.


Sleepy Hollow - Magic Kingdom (Rating: 7 out of 10)

Sadly I don't have a picture of the food I ate here because it was pitch black because the nighttime parade was coming through.  I ordered the waffle with nutella and fresh fruit.  The waffle was a little dry and could have used some more nutella.  Overall, it was a tasty snack that could be shared by two.


Casey's Corner - Magic Kingdom (Rating: 9 out of 10)

I don't have a picture of what I ate here either.  :-(  Sorry, I'm a horrible blogger.

We originally tried to grab something to eat from here before the parade started, but after standing in line for 20 minutes and it not moving, that's when we decided to go over to Sleepy Hollow.  As we were leaving the park for the night, we noticed that there wasn't much of a line at Casey's, so I decided to go get some corn dog nuggets.  The corn dog nuggets were delicious as always.  The reason this only got a 9 out of 10 is because of the horrible service.  This place moves so slow!  Two lines funnel to one register and then you stand off to the side to pick up your food.  You think for a hot dog restaurant they would move a lot quicker, but it's slow as molasses.  So, make sure you have plenty of time to get somewhere before you try to get in line at Casey's, but after you get your food, it's fabulous!


Fountain View - Epcot (Rating: 10 out of 10)


While J was in line for Soarin', I went over to Fountain View to grab us some coffee and pastries for breakfast.  Unlike the Starbucks in Magic Kingdom, the one in Epcot had barely any line.  I was in and out within 20 minutes.  They have the normal Starbucks menus and the prices are about comparable.  They also have the typical Starbucks pastries, with a couple of Disney items added in.  Great addition to Epcot!  It makes me happy to be able to get Starbucks while touring Disney World.


Hanami (Flower & Garden Festival Booth) - Epcot (Rating: 3 out of 10)


I can guarantee that J would give this a different rating than I would, but he's not writing the review, so oh well!  This was a rice cake with a green tea whipped cream, sweet red bean, white chocolate, and raspberry sauce.  All of the filling was delicious, but I thought the rice cake was a little stale.  Also, the sprinkles on top were a weird addition to me.  It was okay, but if you don't love rice cakes, I probably wouldn't recommend it.


The Smokehouse (Flower & Garden Festival Booth) - Epcot (Rating: 10 out of 10)


This pulled pork "slider" was delicious.  It was huge!  Way bigger than I would consider a slider.  It had a ton of meat piled on top and a nice selection of sauces to choose from.  It comes with coleslaw on top, but since I'm not a coleslaw fan, I asked them to leave it on the side.  It was well worth the almost $6 price tag and a great mid-day snack.  Now if the cart sold french fries, it would have been the perfect lunch!


Boulangerie Patisserie - Epcot (Rating: 2 out of 10)


Most people talk very highly about this restaurant, but I wasn't impressed.  We asked for our sandwiches warmed and we saw them put them in the oven, but mine was cold in the middle and the cheese was barely melted at all (as you can see in the picture).  Very disappointing.  If we go back, we'll just ordered some pastries and skip the sandwiches.


Refreshment Post - Epcot (Rating: 9 out of 10)


Once I heard that Epcot had cronuts, I had to try one.  This is located in the World Showcase, so it doesn't open until 11am.  No cronut for breakfast!  It was light and flaky, but ridiculous sweet.  You have to have a big sweet tooth to be able to eat this entire thing by yourself.  


La Cantina de San Angel - Epcot (Rating: 10 out of 10)


J had been talking about tacos the entire day we were at Epcot, so we had to stop in Mexico to get him some before the day was done.  The tacos had a great flavor to them.  They have a couple choices of salsa on the condiment bar to eat with your chips.  The chipotle one was very tasty.  Great dinner that you could easily split between two people if you're snacking around the world.


Yorkshire County Fish Shop - Epcot (Rating: 6 out of 10)


My family is British, so I love a good fish and chips.  The fish had a fabulous flavor and were a good size portion.  The fries on the other hand were not good.  They were too potatoey in the middle and didn't really have any flavor.  Sadly I threw the majority of those away.


Via Napoli - Epcot (Rating: 9 out of 10)


The only reason this restaurant didn't get a 10 out of 10 is because the prices are a little high on some things for the portions you get.  J's candele was delicious, but it was maybe the size of your fist and it was $24!  The tiramisu was about the same size for $9.  The best deal there is the individual pizzas.  My pizza was huge and it was only $17!  J had to help me eat it because it was way too much food for one person.  Split that with a salad and dessert and you've got a full meal for not too much money.  The atmosphere and wait staff were fantastic and the food was delicious.  If we had a little extra money on a trip, we would definitely eat there again.


Starring Rolls - Hollywood Studios (Rating: 10 out of 10)


Do not let the price of these cupcakes turn you off.  Yes, they are pricey, but they are worth it!  This cupcake is huge and oh so delicious.  It's a red velvet cupcake with cheesecake on top.  One of the moistest and most decadent things I have ever tasted.  I'm drooling at my desk thinking about it right now.


Restaurantosaurus - Animal Kingdom (Rating: 5 out of 10)


I was all excited to try the Mac n Cheese Hot Dog, but sadly it wasn't as fabulous as it sounds.  There was way too much bread for the hot dog.  Also, the hot dog had so much bite to it, that the mac n cheese would just fall of the top.  I think it's a great idea, but wasn't executed correctly.  J really enjoyed his chicken sandwich.  It does have a mayo sauce on it, which is not mentioned on the menu, so just be aware if you don't like mayo or can't have dairy.


Everything Pop Breakfast - Pop Century Resort (Rating: 8 out of 10)

I ordered a Pop Waffle which is just as buttery and moist as the Mickey waffles around the park.  It was a great size too and came with fresh fruit and bacon or sausage.  I don't remember what J ordered, but he really enjoyed his as well.


Everything Pop Dinner - Pop Century Resort (Rating: 10 out of 10)


I was surprised, but we actually really enjoyed dinner at Pop Century.  J ordered the Southwest Burger which he said was really good.  It wasn't your typical theme park burger.  I wasn't too hungry, so I ordered the kid's cheeseburger, which is a fabulous deal.  It comes with the cheeseburger and two sides.  I picked the grapes and carrots, but you can also choose french fries or some other choices.  It also includes a water or milk.  We finished off our meal with Pop's famous tye dye cheesecake.  It's red velvet cake was your crust and then cheesecake on top.  It doesn't look so appealing, but it was actually really tasty.


Landscape of Flavors Breakfast - Art of Animation Resort (Rating: 6 out of 10)


We decided to walk over to Art of Animation one morning for breakfast to check it out.  If I had to choose between Pop Century and Art of Animation for breakfast food, I would definitely pick Pop Century.  The french toast was okay, but nothing special.  J did enjoy his breakfast sandwich though.


Kona Cafe - Polynesian Resort (Rating: 10 out of 10)


Delicious!  Sinful, but delicious!  J ordered the Big Kahuna, which is a ton of food.  It comes with macadamia/pineapple pancakes, french toast, bacon, sausage, ham, eggs, and potatoes.  I ate some of his sides and everything on that plate was fabulous.  I ordered the tonga toast, which is what the Kona Cafe is known for.  It's two slices of french bread, stuffed with bananas, and then covered in cinnamon sugar.  It's also served with a strawberry sauce.  It's very rich, but oh so yummy.


Have you eaten at any of these restaurants?  How was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment