We've been asked a lot by family and friends why we decided to build a new house instead of just buying a pre-owned one.
When we started searching for our next home, we didn't automatically start looking at new builds. We looked at about 25 pre-owned houses before we stumbled upon our future house. Looking back on it, I'm glad none of those pre-owned houses worked out because buying a new build was one of the best decisions we have made.
Here are my ten reasons I'm glad that we decided to buy a new build:
1. Everything is New - We don't have to worry about something breaking down a week after we move into the house. Every single thing in the house is new and has a warranty (our builder actually provides us with a 10 year warranty).
2. Energy Efficient - Our house is green certified, so we have extra insulation, Low-E windows, Energy Star appliances, and a tankless water heater. We can enjoy living in our house and have a lower utility bill while we're at it.
3. Safety - Our house is up to code and doesn't have lead paint, polybutelyne piping, or asbestos. One less worry when we're already stressed enough with finding a new home.
4. Less Immediate Out of Pocket Expenses - Our builder included a lot of upgrades in our house, so we didn't have to shell out a ton of money immediately after moving to make upgrades.
5. Being Able to Customize - We picked out all the finishes in our house from the cabinet color to the carpet style. We will not have to do any changes to the house immediately because it was designed with our choices in mind.
6. Modern Layout - We have a very open floor plan with tons of light. We also have tons of storage, which is great for a growing family. We were hard pressed to find both of these in older homes.
7. Excitement of Watching it be Built - Watching our house being built from the ground up is one of the most exciting things we've ever done. It's so much fun to go out there once a week and see all the changes that have been made.
8. Technology Smart - Our house has a built in smart box that is wired for high speed cable and internet. We don't have to worry about the cable company having to come out and do additional wiring to get our service started.
9. Landscaped Yard - Our yard will be fully landscaped for us when we move in, so we don't have to worry about fixing bad patches in the yard or trimming any overgrown bushes.
10. Move In and Guest Ready - After we close, we can move in immediately. We can also invite friends and family over without having to worry about doing any repairs.
Have you ever built a house from the ground up or bought a brand new build?